- MySQL is a fast, easy-to-use RDBMS being used for many small and big businesses.
- MySQL is developed, marketed and supported by MySQL
- Structured Query Language, or SQL, is the standard language used to communicate with a database,
and or change records and user privileges, and perform queries.
- MySQL is released under an open-source license. So you have nothing to pay to use it.
- MySQL is a very powerful program in its own right. It handles a large subset of the functionality of the most expensive and powerful database packages.
- MySQL uses a standard form of the well-known SQL data language.
- MySQL works on many operating systems and with many languages including PHP, PERL, C, C++, JAVA, etc.
- MySQL works very quickly and works well even with large data sets.
- MySQL is very friendly to PHP, the most appreciated language for web development.
- There Language, which became an ANSI standard in 1989, is currently used by almost all of today’s commercial RDBMS.
SQL, statements fall into one of three categories.(Types of SQL)
Data Definition Language(DDL) : DDL Consists of statements that define the structure and relationships of a database and its table.
These Statements are used to Create, drop and modify databases and tables.
Data Manipulation Language(DML) : DML statements are related to altering and extracting data from a database.
These statements are used to add records to, update records in, and delete records from, a database; perform queries; retrieve table records matching one or more user specified criteria; and join tables together using their common fields.
Data Control Language(DCL) : DCL statements are used to define access levels and security privileges for a database.
You would use these statements to grant or deny user privileges; assign roles; change passwords; view permissions; and create rule sets to protect access to data.
The Syntax of SQL is quite intuitive. every SQL statement begins with an “action word”, like DELETE, INSERT,ALTER etc.
it ends with a semicolon. whitespace, tabs, carriage returns are ignored.
Some example of valid SQL statements :
CREATE DATABASE employee;
SELECT name FROM users where email =”firstname.lastname@example.org”;
DELETE FROM cars WHERE year_of_manufacture < 1980;